If you don’t already know, I’m a huge supporter of breastfeeding! I breastfed my first son for two and half years, my daughter for 3 years, and my youngest son is going strong at just over a year so far. Along the way I’ve picked up a few tips and tricks. So here ya go! All my secrets!
- Breastfeeding in a carrier: With Maddox I was always able to stop what I was doing and find somewhere to relax and nurse him. However with Marlow and Maclan, that’s not the case- so mamas gotta do whatever it takes! So after lots of trial and error I figured out how to nursing them in a carrier. (You may not be able to tell but Marlow is nursing in the photo above). To do this you put the baby/child in the front carry position and loosen the shoulder straps until they sit low enough to reach your nipple (You can see how low Marlow is sitting in the photo). I usually use the hood cover to discretely cover up when I’m out- usually walking around Target. 🤣 Another alternative is wearing a tank top with a t-shirt over it (pull t-shirt up and tank down to expose the goodies.) Or don’t! Who cares! Whatever you are comfortable with!
- Uneven Boobs: After nursing for a year, Maddox decided he only wanted to nurse on one side 🙄 So to maintain my supply (and avoid being completely lopsided) I use a handy little suction cup pump, or a manual hand pump to pump while he is nursing on his “preferred side.”
- Boobie Smoothie: This is a treat for you from Mommy My Way that helps to keep your nutrient levels where they need to be while increasing your supply!
– 1 cup milk (I like to use vanilla almond milk)
– 1 frozen banana
-1/2 cup oats
– 2 tsp Ground Flaxseed
– 2 tap peanut butter
– 1 tsp chocolate milk mix
-1 tsp brewers yeast
Blend together and add a few ice cubes until it’s the right consistency. Like a yummy milkshake but much healthier!
- Free Breast pump! Breastpumps are covered by insurance! I found this website when I was pregnant with Maddox and OMG what a life saver! YummyMummy.com It makes ordering your pump beyond easy! Plug in your insurance information, they’ll tell you what your plan covers, and you place your order! SO DAMN easy!
- MUST- Haves: For my Breastfeeding MUST-Haves click here. This is a link to an old post I did that includes a list of everything you need and a link to each item!
If you missed my first post about my struggles with breastfeeding in the beginning, check it out Breastfeeding: So Simple, Right? Do you have any other questions about breastfeeding I haven’t answered or you’ve been afraid to ask? If so, shoot me an email or DM on instagram (link here). Meanwhile, happy breastfeeding this week and every week!